- 31st Floor, 40 Bank Street, Canary Wharf, London, United Kingdom, E14 5NR
- Administration, Administrative Receivership, Company Voluntary Arrangement, Pensions Advisory, Compulsory Liquidation, Voluntary Liquidation, Commercial Finance, Corporate Finance, Financial Consulting, Restructuring and Turnaround, Bankruptcy, IVA, Forensic Accounting, Forensic Technology, Investigations, Security Risk
- Litigation Support Professional, Investigations Professional
Carla is a Partner in our London office and heads up the Contentious Insolvency Division. She joined the firm in 2011 and has over 20 years of legal experience having worked at both a leading insolvency set of Chambers and a top 10 City law firm. Carla has specialised in pure insolvency investigation and litigation for the past 13 years, having worked in investigation and litigation teams for Government agencies and insolvency practitioner firms.
Carla studied law in the UK before completing her LLM in International Commercial Law in Singapore, which gives her an in-depth understanding of international law issues. This expertise is fundamental when instructing lawyers and other insolvency professionals globally and in multiple jurisdictions.
With a thorough, detailed and commercial approach to litigation and investigations, Carla has extensive experience in insolvency litigation, strategic recoveries, asset tracing, creditor services, cross border insolvency, international and UK litigation, cross border asset recovery, shareholder disputes, fraud, corporate governance and investigations.
In addition, Carla has recently been involved in the co-ordination, designation and review of financial due diligence projects, advising on new corporate organisation and restructuring assignments from a risk perspective and reviewed business valuations and asset appraisals for use in either acquisitions or litigation based context.
Carla is direct and tenacious with regards to achieving the overall objectives of each assignment and her robust, no nonsense approach to negotiations is demonstrated by the outcome of each of her cases.
Recent cases include:
- A large and complex restructure of a UK based plc. As part of a holistic approach, Carla was appointed specifically to provide advice in relation to any consequential litigative risks regarding the disposal of companies and transfer of assets as part of the proposed scheme. Specific attention was paid to each corporate disposal and potential exit routes and strategies. Carla calculated not only the risks involved but also the ways to counter those risks in order to mitigate them and protect the board of directors and potential creditors through designing various settlements or payment schemes prior to any solvent/insolvent procedures.
- Requested by HMRC (in their capacity as substantial creditors) to investigate a series of cases which involved abuse of the UK tax laws and utilisation of unlawful schemes to avoid payment of multi-million pound tax liabilities. The work undertaken involved the understanding of complex tax structures, unravelling the transactions, appreciating where the legal thresholds lay regarding recovery action. It also involved engaging and dismantling offshore trust structures, where necessary litigating against the trustees or removing them and recovering substantial assets and settlements from those unlawfully in receipt of trust funds.