- 701 Brickell Avenue, Suite 860, Miami FL 33131,
- (305) 420-5194
- Corporate Finance Advisory, Bankruptcy & Restructuring, Forensic Accounting & Litigation Support, Real Estate Services
- Forensic Accountant, Investigations Professional
Antonio Pereira joined GlassRatner in 2018 as a Principal in the Forensic and International practice. He joined the firm with 28 years of experience leading complex, high profile local and cross-border engagements.
Antonio has led and participated in a number of forensic, anti-bribery and integrity due diligence investigations related to asset manipulation and asset misappropriation, financial crime, earnings management concerns, corporate internal investigations, accounting irregularities, damage calculations, breach of contracts, international arbitration disputes, merger and acquisition and post-acquisition disputes, corporate compliance assessments, internal audit projects, and assessments of business operational matters for corporations and their legal counsel throughout the world. Antonio has extensive hands-on experience in assisting clients with AML Compliance taking into account the rules and requirements of the USA Patriot Act, Bank Secrecy Act, Office of Foreign Assets Control, and Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act, as well as other local and international regulatory requirements and/or standards.
Antonio has worked on numerous financial and compliance investigations for clients involving Deferred Prosecution Agreements, Cease and Desist Orders, and Memorandum of Understanding. He has provided expert testimony in litigation, arbitration, and regulatory proceedings on more than 50 occasions.
Representative engagements on which Antonio has worked include:
- Conducted investigations into earnings management schemes involving complex accounting issues related to revenue recognition, expense capitalization, restructuring and purchase accounting reserves, and other accounting devices used to manipulate earnings.
- Conducted complex fraud investigations related to improper conversion of corporate assets, improper bank loans to related parties, kickback schemes, inappropriate expense capitalization, and other employee malfeasance.
- Conducted post-acquisition dispute investigations involving US GAAP, IAS, management representations, consistency, and reasonableness of the financial statements.
- Provided expert testimony before an arbitration panel in Bogotá on behalf of a large North American-based telecommunications company. The dispute arose from a complex series of contracts with a Colombian telecommunications company.
- Investigated allegations on behalf of three premier international financial institutions that certain shareholders of a bank in Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay had converted $250 million in securities to cover losses arising from non-performing loans.
- Performed a review, on behalf of the International Monetary Fund and the Ecuadorian Government, of the quality of the assets of seven financial institutions in Ecuador (accounting for approximately 70% of the local banking system), particularly, related party loans and transactions.
- Assisted debtors’ counsel, debtors, and creditors’ committees in their vulnerability assessment of loan portfolio recovery.
- Managed an enterprise-wide AML compliance review and program assessment for a bank under government order. The order mandated the engagement of an Independent Consultant to perform extensive testing, developing enhancements, and the implementation/validation of new industry leading risk based program.
- Retained to assist a premier global financial institution in defending itself against allegations that it had issued certain funds transfers totaling $600 million from its operations in Mexico, Puerto Rico and Colombia to offshore havens in Panama, Grand Cayman, Zurich, and Jersey, allegedly to legitimize the proceeds of narcotics and weapons trafficking.
Prior to joining GlassRatner, Antonio was the Partner-in-charge of the Forensic practice for the Florida, Puerto Rico and Latin America markets of KPMG LLP. More recently, Antonio held senior positions with ISM, Inc., a boutique financial advisory and forensic accounting firm.
Antonio is a Chartered Accountant, graduated from the Andres Bello Catholic University with a Bachelor In Business Administration. He is fluent in English, Spanish and Portuguese.